Wednesday, March 6, 2019 / by June Quilantang
- Educational Achievement: Homeownership has a positive impact on academic achievement, including reading and math performance in children 3-12 years old.
- Civic Participation: "Owning a home means owning a part of the neighborhood." Homeowners have a stronger connection to their neighborhood and are more committed to volunteer.
- Health Benefits: Adjusting for a range of demographic, socioeconomic and housing-related characteristics, homeowners have a substantial health advantage over renters.
- Public Assistance: The report shows 47% of homeowners use their home equity credit lines to help pay other debts, diminishing their need for public assistance.
- Property Maintenance and Improvement: A well-maintained home not only generates benefits through consumption and safety, but a high-quality structure also raises mental health.
- Pride of Ownership: This place is uniquely "yours." You can customize it according to your likes and personality.
- Buying a home is an investment in your future! Appreciation: On average, home prices are appreciating annually at a rate of 3.6%. This helps to create a safety net.
- Forced Savings: Your mortgage is like a forced savings plan! With each payment, you are reducing the principal of your loan.
- Home Equity: Homeownership builds equity every single month. You can later use that equity to start a business, send your children to college, etc.
- Net Worth: A homeowners' net worth is 44x greater than renters! This gives you the financial freedom to invest.
- Stability: Rent prices increase 4% annually! A fixed mortgage payment allows you to save for future projects and guard against inflation.
- Tax Benefits: The government has created tax benefits to encourage customers to purchase. (Talk to your CPA to see which benefits apply to you).